Before You Contract
Contracts to sell BlueCross BlueShield (BCBS) of Illinois (IL), Montana (MT), New Mexico (NM), Oklahoma (OK) and/or Texas (TX) Medicare Products are administered and managed by Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC).
Individual Under 65 contracts are not currently available under Western Asset Protection (WAP). Any requests to contract or transfer will only involve Medicare contracts/products.
Agent/Agency is required to have the following:
- Current Life & Health Insurance License
- For each state you will be doing business in
- Agents requesting commissions to be paid to an entity/tax ID are required to provide an insurance license for the entity also
- Electronic copies for uploading:
- Current Errors & Omissions/Professional Liability Insurance
- Voided Check (if you elect commissions to be paid via direct deposit)
AHIP is required and agents have the option to complete this requirement during certification (discount offered by HCSC).
Agent/Agency is required to maintain current contracting documents such as license, AHIP, E&O Insurance, etc. Failure to meet contracting requirements annually can result in contract termination and/or loss of commission and renewal payments.
Agent contracting is an online process. Be aware that BCBS National is a division of HCSC and they will be referenced throughout the contracting and certification process.
You are NOT active to sell after completing contracting and receiving a writing ID. You must complete certification in order to sell.
For Existing BCBS Agent Contracted Direct or Under Another Upline
- If you are already contracted with BCBS directly (no upline agency), you do not need to go through contracting again. Follow the process below:
- If you are already contracted with BCBS under another upline agency in a:
- Producer Contract (BCBS pays commission directly to you): Follow the above instructions (same as direct)
- Sub-producer Contract (BCBS pays commission to your upline): You will need to re-contract. Click here to request to re-contract. You will receive instructions via email on your next steps in this process.
For New Agent
- Click here to request to contract with BCBS National (HCSC)
- You will receive a contracting link via email, “Your Invitation to Contract with Health Care Service Corporation”
- Click the link and follow the prompts to complete the contracting process.
Producer Contracting Guide & FAQ’s (commissions paid to agent social security number)
Sub-producer Contracting Guide & FAQ’s (commissions paid to agency/entity/tax ID)
Within 2-3 business days of completion, you should receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org
- If approved, a “Welcome” email will contain your Writing ID Number.
- One unique writing ID will be assigned per state, each in a separate email. You may receive up to 5 unique writing numbers.
- If not approved, an email notifying you of the issue(s) will be sent to both you and your upline.
Your Writing ID is NOT confirmation that you are ready to sell. You must complete certification requirements before you are active.
Hierarchy Transfer & Release Policy
Western Asset Protection (WAP) Transfer & Release Rules
- WAP allows one hierarchy transfer per carrier per calendar year and will not honor any requests placed from August 15 – December 15.
- Additionally, WAP’s free release policy is suspended each year from August 15 – December 15
- To facilitate a hierarchy transfer, the agent must:
- Provide a written release from their immediate upline. This may be in the form of an email.
- Sign a new WAP Hierarchy Form for each carrier involved in the hierarchy transfer and submit to WAP.
- Some carriers have additional steps involved in a hierarchy transfer or release. WAP will advise the agent and agency of any specific carrier process at the time of the request.
BCBS National (HCSC) Transfer & Release Policy
- BCBS National allows street-level agents and agencies in a standard producer contract to change their affiliation with a NMO, FMO and/or GA up to twice a year during specified timeframes by submitting a Producer Affiliation Change Form. See Contracting Process instructions for more info. Writing numbers remain the same and commissions are still paid directly to the agent/agency.
- Agents and agencies in sub-producer (LOA) contracts CANNOT use the Producer Affiliation Change Form because they do not hold a standard producer contract. To change their upline, the sub-producer must re-onboard. See Contracting Process instructions for more info.